Approximately 20% of new cars in Europe are of Japanese or Korean make. Most Japanese and Korean car manufacturers prescribe a special coolant. The composition and function of this coolant are expressly different than the other coolants and should therefore not be missing in your workshop.
- These days, more than 7 different coolants, prescribed by the car manufacturer, are required in your workshop.
- The car fleet in Europe consists of more than 20% of Japanese and Korean brands. For many of these cars (both current and older models) a coolant is prescribed, which must comply with the so-called “JIS K 2234-2006 Class 2” standard.
- The MPM 86000CLP coolant is a unique, so-called hybrid coolant that meets and even exceeds this standard.
- The MPM 86000ALP or MPM 86000CLP should not be missing in your workshop.
MPM coolant and antifreeze especially for Japanese and Korean car brands
Many Japanese and Korean car manufacturers, including Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Lexus, Mazda, Subaru and Suzuki, prescribe a special coolant for many of their models. This coolant must at least comply with the Japanese Industry Standard “JIS K 2234-2006 Class 2”. The use of another coolant may lead to direct malfunction and damage to the cooling system and indirectly to the engine. Due to the use of incorrect coolant, water pumps are prematurely exhausted. More than 60% of the water pump malfunctions are the result of problems with the seal due to the use of the wrong coolant. What is even worse (because it does not immediately reveal itself), is the corrosion and scale formation in the engine! This leads to expensive repairs and dissatisfied clients. Always use the correct coolant and refresh in time to prevent these problems.
Japanese and Korean car manufacturers have their own unique opinion of optimal protection and performance through coolant. In this opinion, it is very important that the coolant “fits” (the compatibility) with the materials used (usually different metals and sealing materials) in the engine block and the cooling system. This ensures the best protection against corrosion and leakage.
MPM has two perfect products, which amply meet the requirements of Japanese and Korean car manufacturers for coolant:
- MPM 86000ALP series (antifreeze; has yet to be diluted)
- MPM 86000CLP series (Ready-to-use coolant; freeze protection up to -37° C)
These products even surpass the prescribed standard norm “JIS K 2234-2006 Class 2” and the international ASTM D3306 and ASTM D6210 standards and are available in 1, 5, 20, 60, 205 and 1000 litre containers.
The special feature of this, based on ethylene glycol, coolant is that it is a hybrid coolant using the Organic Additives Technology in combination with a phosphate additives package. This is also referred to as P-OAT (Phosphated Organic Additive Technology) coolant. Where many European car manufacturers prescribe a silicate-containing coolant (for example, coolants with the G11, G12++ and G13 specifications), Japanese and Korean car manufacturers prohibit the use of silicates for most models. The new MPM 86000CLP coolant is therefore free from silicates and free of other harmful or hazardous substances such as nitrites, borates and amines. An additional advantage of the MPM 86000CLP coolant is that it keeps the cooling system very clean internally and ensures superior heat transfer that reduces the risk of overheating.
The MPM 86000CLP coolant is biodegradable but, like all other ethylene glycol-based coolants, is very harmful when swallowed. To prevent risk of swallowing, the MPM 86000CLP contains an additive (emetic agent) to protect against swallowing.
Tips for the workshop
- Make sure your mechanics are familiar with the fact that most Japanese and Korean cars require a special coolant.
- The MPM 86000ALP and the MPM 86000CLP are these special liquids. These comply with the “JIS K 2234-2006 Class 2” standard.
The MPM 86000ALP is an antifreeze which has yet to be diluted.
The MPM 86000CLP is a “ready-to-use” coolant that protects up to -37° Celsius against freezing.
- Coolant must be suitable for the type of metals (cast iron, aluminium, magnesium, etc.) in the cooling system and engine block, otherwise irreversible corrosion and thus serious damage will occur.
- Never mix different coolants.
- Coolant/antifreeze products (ethylene glycol base) are very toxic! Always keep it in its original packaging and never in a drinking water bottle.
- Always choose the coolant which is prescribed by the car manufacturer.
- On the website of MPM you can easily and quickly see which coolant is prescribed for a specific car.
Contact MPM Technical product Management.